Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

FOMO

Sorry readers*. I promise you I am not dead. Rather, I have been too busy to blog because 

1.) Despite the fact that we live in a 10 million dollar facility, there is not enough broadband space to upload pictures, so congratulations: this post is super illegal. 

2.) Shortly after arriving on the premises, I came down with a bad case of FOMO. 


FOMO: Fear Of Missing Out. Perhaps you've heard of it, no? Likely, at some point or another you have experienced it yourself. General symptoms include procrastination of work, lack of sleep, a thorough knowledge of everyone else's love life, etc. It's diagnosed quite regularly in college students-- but as the UK operates under socialized health care, FOMO (highly contagious) runs wild in the streets. 


Left unchecked, FOMO can lead to the following: 

  • Flight instincts like pretending to be British after making a cultural faux pas. 
  •   Making a scene on the tube... or the "underground." It's bad enough that we are louder than everyone else in the country, but our navigation sometimes needs some help- i.e. We all hopped off at a station only to realize that we WERE on the right train after all, then rush back on to the amusement of those around us. Good times.
  •  A physical inability to eat all the wonderful food (slash candy) that surrounds you. Seriously- there are more food places along the streets here-- from ALL OVER the world, than I have ever seen in my life. 
Highlights so far: lunch crepes (pictured above), homemade fish & chips (doused in lemon to mask the fishiness), gelato, olive oil bread, and Digestives. They are suprisingly normal... but the name still gives me a gross feeling like I'm in a nursing home. (The same feeling you get when you say "Activia yogurt.")
Going wild at the London YSA dance. After a few minutes of dancing like freaks by ourselves (thank you, Sports Camps) we had that place hoppin. 
  •  Sensory overload. My life is so much better than anything I deserve it to be. 
Famous things seen so far: Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens, Trafalgar Square, Herrod's, Victoria and Albert Museum, National Gallery, Portrait Gallery, Portabello Road, etc. I have also seen two musicals in the six days I have been here. 

This is the one I desperately wanted to see, the one I can cross off my bucket list. 
Best Number: Bring Him Home-- but Eponine ties for best voice.


But THIS is the one I would actually watch again! Hahaha 
Best Number: There! Right There!, AKA Is He Gay or European?
My goal for this week is to stay more on top of things. So much fun-- so little time!! Can one semester really be long enough? (Honeymoon phase? Check and check.)

* Haha I love you, Mom

5 comments:

  1. Hey... it's not just your mom! haha. I love seeing and hearing about all the wonderful things you are doing! Please find bring me back an accentful man for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, of accentful men there are plenty. One Slovanian chap in our ward introduced himself to our professor on Sunday, asking for our address and informing him that it was his intention to date and marry one of us.

    Naturally, when they told us this at devotional I called dibs... but for you, I would give him up. Haha as a woman who is American, LDS, witty AND beautiful-- who could resist??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you discovered My Old Dutch!!! Did you know about the 5 pound deal on Mondays? And did you see KNICKERBOCKER GLORY on the menu, just like in Harry Potter?? hehehe. And...I am still treasuring my last package of digestives (currently hidden away in a drawer containing my chocolate stash). We'll see how long they last.

    And FOMO is Very Real. And Very Legitimate. I am here to tell you it is okay to not blog if it means you get to one more ballet, or get to wander through one more park, or see one more street. There's just..."lots to do, lots to do!" And frankly not enough time to write about it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. And no, your life is not better than you deserve it to be. Your awesomeness has earned you every ounce of excitement and amazement that you can suck from the lees of life.

    That said, I know exactly how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jealous, jealous, jealous. I had friends who were there last summer and got to see the play Peter Pan IN Kensington Gardens. And Meg Ryan was there. So cool.

    ReplyDelete