Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Other Game Plan

"Oh, broadcast? That's so fun!"

Yes, for sure. For everything the program is and isn't (including the mandatory haircut that killed my dating life for about a year), broadcast is pretty fun. Your labs involve latex gloves and math. My labs involve being on TV. Your internships involve sitting at a desk, sorting mail for your congressman. Mine involve football.

But then comes the follow-up question:
"What do you want to do with that?"

I thought about that a lot this August. I mean, a LOT. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized I really had no idea.  Luckily, a woman like me always has a plan- even if that plan is based on nothing more than Socratic logic. 

The Plan*: 
Have a great senior year. ("When do you graduate?" uhh... good question. August? maybe?)
Have lots of fun. (So far: check and check.)
Don't over-analyze things. (Actually, it's easier than it sounds when you just refuse to worry.)

THEN- 
In April- because that's still a few months before graduation-  I will start praying. Really, really hard. For a good job, or further educational opportunity, or C) none of the above. 
Anything really- just to know what my next step should be. Just to figure out the right path. 
 "Or do you still wait for me, Dream-Giver?"

And then something really really good will happen!

Even when I write this out, it sounds pretty cavalier. Explained aloud, I tell this story (like all stories) with a lot of animation. You think I'm kidding... but I am actually completely serious. 
A lot of people I know would probably call this kind of thinking foolish, unprepared, naive. I'm not denying that I'm not all of those things. But this kind of Hellen-Kellering my way through the dark has another name, too. It's called faith.  
And frankly, right now that's all I've got. So that is what I am sticking with!


I think Walt Disney has my back on this one...

Pocahontas didn't know what she was doing either. She was just running around barefoot picking some corn, talking to trees and and avoiding relationships with the hot warriors in her tribe.
 Look at her. She was nuts. 

But all she had to do was wait for a while and follow her dreams- which led her to meet John Smith, help out the settlers, and save her people from war with a technologically-advanced enemy!

At least... until John Smith went back to England and she was captured and married someone else and her people eventually all died of smallpox and on the Trail of Tears. 
 That sound you hear is my metaphor crumbling down around me. 

*Haha. No, but really. I am thrilled with my game plan and I am sticking to it. 
What is the "other" one, you ask? Just go down this rabbit hole to find out!

1 comment:

  1. umm yes, yes and YES. Although I must say, you've put it quite nicely compared to me---I probably shouldn't post when I'm in a huff LOL. Cannot wait for lunch on Thursday! and also. . . Malcolm Gladwell! love that guy hahaha

    ReplyDelete