Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Internship That's Not About Bunnies

In nine days I start my internship with the National Council for Adoption. Doing "media relations" and "shadowing their attorney on the Hill"- so basically, I have no idea either. We're just gonna let this thing fly.
Also, in case you were going to ask (again) "So what do you want to do after you graduate?"
my answer is still a vague but promising "Something awesome." Right now I have more important things to figure out. Things like how to work the D.C. metro and where to buy food.

Never having been a pregnant teenager myself, I actually have no experience with adoption. So how FORTUNATE that right before the semester ended I got to help a real-life orphan stay out of the system.

My friends found him underneath a car in the parking lot- named him Dobby and took him in- even though it was finals week and they really didn't have time to deal with a rabbit pooping all over their house. What good souls. Naturally, as soon as fb informed me of this I was at their front door with some carrots.

We tried to take Dobby for a walk (hop?)... the leash was made for a small cat but could also accommodate a rather large bunny. Turns out the reason Dobby is so large may be because he doesn't really like to jump around in the grass but likes very much to sit there and eat it.

Let's be honest: I am not an animal person. But that thing was like a stuffed rabbit, I tell you. It would just lie there in your arms and calmly wiggle its nose.
I was smitten.
Natter the Elementary Education Major.
"Just attach this photo to your resume and anyone will hire you."
Using my "social networking skills" that I bragged about in my application I started a marketing campaign (ie. status update) to save dear Dobby from the animal shelter.
As it happens, another girl I don't know adopted him first. But FOR THE RECORD, I did have a legitimate bunny-lover contact me after the fact.

What this experience has taught me is that successful adoptions can take place as long as you have
a) friends who are looking to 'add one more' to the family, or
b) friends who just can't say no to faces like this.
Congratulations on your new home, Dobby!!

3 comments:

  1. i am so happy that Dobby found a home! (even though I secretly wanted it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhm, okay weird.

    I had a rabbit when I was younger that was IDENTICAL to Dobby, but was called Dotty. Yes, I was very creative when I was nine years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) I love the new look...very classy/I-clearly-live-an-awesome-life-in-DC 2) My respect for you increased 10-fold when I found out you had named your bunny Dobby 3) How much longer 'til August because I miss you already...

    ReplyDelete